I had the chance to interview Australian artist and art gallery director Vanessa Ashcroft recently. We discussed some juicy stuffs and how she became an artist.
- Vanessa never studied art at school and she only came upon art 25 years ago
- She used to have her own fashion label and had stores but she sold the business as there was no money in fashion and it was a lot of hard work
- She went to Annette Pringle’s class and it was like finding God – she enjoyed and loved her class and that started her art journey
- Vanessa had a few other teachers such as Judith White and Allison Steel
- Her first sale was in Holy Family School
- When she first started painting, she couldn’t draw and that’s why she used all those different materials
- Close enough is not good enough
- She’s not good at selling herself and just didn’t have the confidence to go in a commercial gallery unless she felt confident that her work was good enough
- She was part of a group show in Bondi and had really good feedback
- She has a fear of missing out on opportunity
- Wants every artist to be successful
- Some artists really struggle with selling their art and it’s just a matter of practicing and talking to people – the more you do it, the less stressful it becomes
Visit her website to see more of Vanessa’s work.